The Lord Lieutenant is supported by a Vice Lord Lieutenant and a maximum of 9 Deputy Lieutenants who represent specific areas of the Lieutenancy. They are:-
- Mr Harry Frew, Vice Lord Lieutenant
- Mr Tim Culham, Deputy Lord Lieutenant (Greenlaw, Gordon & Westruther)
- Mrs Susan Swan (Chirnside, Allanton, Hutton & Whitsome)
- Mrs Joy Dobie (Longformacus, Abbey St Bathans & Cranshaws)
- Mr Andrew Douglas-Home (Coldstream & Birgham)
- Mr Ian Waddell (Eyemouth, Ayton & the coast)
- Mr Dermot Jenkinson (Leitholm, Swinton & Eccles)
- Mr Harry Frew (Foulden & Paxton)
- Mr George Romanes (Duns, Gavinton & Preston)
- Mrs Moira Hughes (Duns, Gavinton & Preston)
This badge is worn by a Deputy Lieutenant when representing the Lord Lieutenant at an official event.
Deputy Lieutenants are commissioned by the Lord-Lieutenant, subject to confirmation by the First Minister that the Queen does not disapprove the appointment.
The function of Deputy Lieutenant is to assist in the performance of any public duty performed by the Lord Lieutenant. Also they provide local knowledge for the Lord Lieutenant in a part of the community they know well. The normal retirement age for Deputy Lieutenants is 75. When Deputy Lieutenants are asked to stand in for the Lord Lieutenant, they are representing HM The Queen.